Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My learning journey 2010 Part 1

"If investing is entertaining, if you're having fun, you're probably not making any money. Good investing is boring." - George Soros

"The essence of mathematics is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple." - Stanley Gudder, Mathematician

I am still learning, but I came to truly understand the above two statements this year. Before that, my trading was complicated and confused. I was also easily influenced by "noise." Which meant, that one moment I would be buying, and the next, I would be dumping wihout good reason. This brought me erratic results. Then one day in July, I met a "guru". Ironically, he was trying to sell me his services. He was churning unit trusts. Although I did not buy his service, what he said stuck. He said "Stocks always go up in the long run, so why worry about the short term? Very few people make money by jumping in and out of the market." I have since adopted an investment approach to my stocks. But instead of unit trusts (which I don't like because of high transaction costs), I am buying good stocks (blue chips). Ever since, I have enjoyed much better results. I have come full circle in my learning journey.

N.B: I am eyeing only to buy stocks two times a year from now onwards. The rest of the time, will be spent waiting for prices to go in my favour.

No comments:

Post a Comment