Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ouch... my portfolio is hurting

My portfolio, going into 2012, is hurting. This is in contrast to last year, where I went into 2011 on a high.


Trading 

ICBC
+9%
Anhui
-7%
Yanzhou
-15%


Investing 

NOL
-37.5%
Noble
-1%
Sembcorp Ind
-15%


Ok, let's be honest, I am actually a little panicky. But, will I be cutting losses? No, I am in for the long haul.
In fact, I will be adding more to my portfolio once the crisis becomes full blown. There is no better time to start a portfolio than the next few months, because we will be getting value for a song, once the inevitable stock market rout/s arrive.

My main aims in 2012 are two-pronged. The first is to build up a portfolio of stocks(remember asset allocation is the ideal way to build wealth) , returning me approximately 10% p.a. This porfolio is long term in nature. The second will be to maintain a trading account. This account is shorter term in nature. My aim is to make money in as quick time as possible through timing the markets. Although the disadvantages of timing the markets are well-known, successful stories of traders keep me firmly rooted in the belief that success in trading is possible.

For starting a portfolio of stocks, the following must be considered:

Stock Types
Expected Return
Allocation
Growth
20%
20%
Value
10%
20%
REITs
6%
40%
Cash
0.5%
20%


I am also thinking of bonds, index funds and ETF to add to the portfolio. I will update my knowledge of these products before adding them to my portfolio.

As of now, my portfolio only has growth stocks (not very healthty)!

No comments:

Post a Comment