Monday, January 17, 2011

Why I am a bargain-hunting investor now

A chasing-momentum, chasing-price strategy in the past few years has reaped me nothing but frustration and monetary loss. Deciding that this is probably not going to work for me, I began to switch my style to one of buying the dips, and selling when everyone else is buying. I have definitely experienced much greater success. My favourite local financial editor, Goh Eng Yeow correctly wrote in the Sunday Times that "One mistake made by most investors is the urge to want to buy stocks which are on the upswing - and sell when the picture looks bleak(me in the past)." He added, "It may be better for them to look out for counters with good businesses which have been unfairly priced down by the market". This art, I am in the process of learning and perfecting. Keynes made his fortune with this art. So did Puggy Pearson, 1973 poker champion who recognised the 60-40 proposition. He makes big bucks whenever he knows he has a 60% chance. And by 60% chance, we mean when stocks are unfairly sold down. I believe Goh has made substantial amount too from this art of investing. Going forward, there will be lots of opportunities to practise this art. The ability to wait patiently for opportuntities to unfold will be the key to master the art of being a successful bargain hunter in the stock market.

No comments:

Post a Comment