Sunday, August 18, 2013

A good analyst

Analysts play an important role in our choice of stocks, but it is quite common when analysts recommend "buy" (think Vard), and it should instead be "sell". Quite dangerous to follow them all the time right? So what makes a great analyst?

He must have 
  • Strong convictions about his recommendations. And guts to add to his positions when markets are going against him (something I still find hard to accomplish, as evidenced recently in my investment in China Railway. I bailed way before it reached my target price!)
  • Be flexible enough to apply different valuation methods to value different types of securities
  • Not afraid to deviate from the consensus
(adapted from The Edge, Aug 19)

I think, to be a great investor is very much like a great analyst. Need to have strong convictions on the stocks purchase. Need to buy, when everyone is selling, and to sell, when everyone is buying.




No comments:

Post a Comment